(517) 750-1000

©2019 by Myrtle and Ivy. Proudly created with Wix.com

Search
  • myrtleandivyfloral

Toxic Plants for Fido and Mr. Whiskers


If you’re anything like us at Myrtle and Ivy, you have pets at home.


We have cats, dogs, chickens, hedgehogs and guinea pigs. Yes, we said hedgehogs…. We are suckers for animals and look at this sweet face!



ADORABLE!


We love OUR animal family so much but having pets can really put a damper on having plants and flowers in the house. For two people who own a flowershop and love fresh flowers and plants this is not ideal and I don’t know about your pets but one of my dogs fully enjoys eating anything green that grows in a pot inside.




I am not sure if he just enjoys destroying them or if he likes the taste, either way this is not a good combo. Not only is this extremely frustrating for me, my now poor dead plants and my floor now covered in dirt but some plants can be toxic to animals. This just got way more complex than just having to sweep up a mess! That being said though having pets at home does not mean you cannot have plants; you just need to know what plants are toxic to them.


Since animals tend to just do what they want we think that it’s always best to err on the side of caution and avoid having potentially toxic plants around your pets. Better than safe than sorry my mom always used to say… and we have to agree! We need all our fur babies to be safe.



Now we know we have hedgehogs and chickens but we’re kind of weird so know that normal people usually choose my normal pets like Cats and Dogs. If you have a Cat or Dog, or have even a Ferret please keep reading! We have a list of plants that you should keep away from them and then what to do if they are exposed below!


Amaryllis

Crocus

Azaleas and Rhododendrons

Castor Bean

Chrysanthemum, Daisy, Mum

Cyclamen

Daffodils, Narcissus

Dieffenbachia

English Ivy

Hyacinth

Kalanchoe

Lily

Lily of the Valley

Marijuana

Oleander

Peace Lily

Pothos, Devil’s Ivy

Sago Palm

Spanish Thyme

Tulip

Yew


Side NOTE: If a plant is poisonous, assume all parts of the plant are poisonous—though some parts of the plant may have higher concentrations of the toxin than others. Also, just because we need this to be more complicated right, toxic doses can vary widely from plant to plant. #ofcourse So in some cases, ingesting a small amount can have devastating results, while some animals may need to be exposed to relatively large amounts of other plants before symptoms develop.


Since many plants are irritants, most symptoms seen will be the result of irritation or inflammation, such as redness, swelling or itchiness of the eyes, skin or mouth. When deeper parts of the gastrointestinal tract, like the stomach and intestines, become irritated, vomiting and diarrhea are likely.


If you see your dog or cat eating a plant and you are uncertain if it is poisonous, or if you even suspect that your animal ate such a plant, do the following before you take him to your veterinarian:

1. Remove any plant material from your cat or dog’s hair, skin and mouth if you can do so safely.

2. Keep your animal confined in a safe environment for close monitoring.

3. Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661 or Animal Poison Control at

1-888-426-4435.


Identifying the plant is very important for determining treatment. If you are unsure of the name of the poisonous plant that your animal was exposed to, bring a sample of the plant or plant material that your pet has vomited with you to the veterinary office.


This information was brought to you by Myrtle and Ivy Floral through the research from:

https://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_ct_poisonous_plants

20 views